I don't know whose brilliant idea this originally was, but someone on Twitter started posting their #Top50Jo or the top reasons they love Jordan, and it took off. Even Queen Rania pitched in! I loved the idea because we always complain about living here but forget the reasons we love it so much. So here's my top 50, some of them from other Tweeps:
2) Emad Hajjaj's Abu Mahjoob
3) Souk Jara in the summer
4) Antique jewelry from souk jara
5) Sunsets in the dead sea
6) How we can have snowless snow days!
7) How everyone watches JTV only when it snows and you can't get any other channels
8) How Mohammad al-Wakeel's show is our equivalent of the Oprah show
9) How EVERYONE talks about whatever cold front is coming
10) Hummus and Fool on Friday mornings
11) How you can bargain prices at local stores
12) Ka3ek with za'atar, eggs and spread cheese!
13) Local Jordanian bands like Jadal
14) How people start dancing like crazy in weddings whenever they put on national songs like "ya beiragna"!
15) Our beautiful weather. we get all four seasons!
17) Delicious summer fruits
18) How everyone you meet knows someone you know
19) How everyone has an "uncle" who's high up in the government
20) That our Queen has YouTube and Twitter. and actually contributed her #Top50Jo
21) That you can complain to the mayor @MayorOfAmman on Twitter
22) How everyone gets together in happy as well as sad occasions
23) 5 piaster popsicles in the summer or "Eskimo"
24) Ras il abed!
25) Cups and Kilos
26) The smell of jasmine in early summer mornings
27) How we combine the best of the east and the best of the west. We have falafel, and we have Sugardaddy cupcakes!
28) 1 JD DVDs from the Balad
29) Cab drivers. Love 'em or hate 'em, Jordan wouldn't be the same without them!
30) How every place in Jordan delivers. From McDonalds to Argeeeleh places
31) How you get coerced into eating till you pass out at 3azaiem (feasts)
32) How guys are prepared to get into fights in defense of “their” football team
33) How everyone has a mobile phone, from CEOs to housemaids
34) Ramadan atmosphere
35) Walking in Amman
36) The view from Jabal Amman
37) How you can buy newspapers/flowers/gum/plasters at the traffic light
38) The view of the King Hussein Mosque at night
39) Balad sights and sounds
40) How we don’t acknowledge maps or street names. It’s always next to some place you know!
41) Street cats!
42) How you don’t need to go to the car-wash. The 7ares across the street will wash it for you for a small fee
43) How older men with mustaches and a frown are considered prestigious
44) how our streets flood every time it rains
45) How you can have a tab at the local mini-market
46) How every health issue is attributed to low B12 levels
47) How it doesn’t matter how old you are, there will always be someone to tell you to put on a jacket when it’s cold outside
48) “Dora” or corn cob carts
49) Sha3er banat or cotton-candy sellers with their harmonicas
50) Barbecues with family and friends in the summer
Naseem's tweet digest